We have been going through a series on how to deal with temptation. I thought I'd share a few thoughts from last night's message on, "Temptation of Apathy." Apathy in the dictionary means, “absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement. lack of interest in or concern for things.”
The issue of temptation becomes a problem when a person thinks they know how God works and how to “work” Him. This temptation is one that is “subtle” and “religious.” You can go on for years and not realize you fall into this temptation. It is the temptation that you have God all figured out!
In Matthew 4:5-6, Jesus is being tempted, first by bread and now in a new way. He is taken to the top of the temple. Satan quotes Psalm 91:12 to try and entice Jesus to test His heavenly Faither.
Apathy is a disease of the soul that erodes the need for God.
Attempts to “Play God”
• A couple (students) who are home alone and asking God for strength to stay pure • A guy searching online in his room—alone, who asks God to prevent him from going astray • A girl who dresses provocatively yet asks God to bring her a godly guy
Christians are called to cooperate with God, not manipulate God.
Apply – Temptation of Apathy…
1. Rejects the need to Change
- People who are most disappointed with God are the people who never fully surrendered to God.
- Christians are called to keep the gospel as the most important part of their lives.
- People who reject change do not hear from God.
2. Rejects the need for Faith
- Apathy says, “I know better than God and don’t need to trust Him.”
- Apathy kills the heart of the gospel
- Apathy removes the need for opening up to new people in our lives
Passion for God…
1. Leads to daily surrender
“…to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2
2. Leads to cooperation with God
- God speaks loudest to the people who are surrendered to Him.
- Transformed lives result in CHANGE to become like Christ.
- Have we lost our first love? Jesus!
- Are you passionate about changing whatever it takes for people to know Christ?
- Are you a cooperator or manipulator?
Passion for God kills the temptation of Apathy