Fear can be a bad thing but it can be a good thing to protect us from harm. Fearing crossing the street when cars and flying past is a good fear. But fear of man can paralyze us! Freedom is found through fearing God and not fearing man. What are you most afraid of? There are numerous phobias out there!
- Trichopathophobia - Fear of hair.
- Peladophobia - Fear of bald people.
- Melophobia - Fear of music.
- Lachanophobia - Fear of vegetables.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Fear of long words (can you even pronounce that word?)
- Arachibutyrophobia - Fear of peanut butter getting stuck to the roof of your mouth.
- Unatractiphobia - Fear of ugly people.
- Dromophobia - Fear of crossing the road.
- Pogonophobia - Fear of beards.
- Linonophobia - Fear of string.
- Clowns - Coulrophobia
Do you relate to any of these crazy fears? The truth is, many people are held hostage by fear. We fear rejection probably more than any other fear. Sometimes we find our identity on what others say about us instead of our identity being found in Jesus.
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. Proverbs 29:25
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
What Fear Does?
- It slows potential: Apathy sets in and you never take risks to step out because of fear of what others might say.
- It scars relationships: It leads to unhealthy dependence with others.
- It stops joy in our life: Cynical by finding problems in yourself and others.
How does the fear of God overcome the fear of man?
Our tendency is to usually care more about man’s opinion often times more than God’s opinion. The truth is, God loves us. We are called to be overcomers of the fear of what others think! Jesus set the ultimate example of loving us through the cross! The fear of God destroys worry about what other people think. No matter what people say, we are accepted through Jesus! No matter if we are rejected by men, we are accepted by our Heavenly father!
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
Where God’s love is, there is no fear, because God’s perfect love drives out fear. 1 John 4:18
Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13
We need to live for the Audience of One! I will be rejected by people. You will, too, if you are following Christ. The fear of man is a trap! You and I have an opportunity to cave into the fear of being accepted by people every day! God loves you so much that he wants to have a personal and meaningful relationship with you. Don’t allow the incredible potential of this journey to be sabotaged by fear. God wants you to be free of fear and filled with boldness.
Are you living your life to be accepted by men or for an Audience of One?
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10