Current Series: Facebook Official
Title: “Sex is...”
The Word: 1 Corinthians 6:18-20, Genesis 1:27-28, 31; Mark 12:30
Main Thought: We will distinguish between the lies of the world and the truth of God’s plan for sex.
First, God originated sex. It is HIS idea. But we live in a world that is pushing you AGAINST God’s plan for sexuality. Let’s go back to the beginning: “So a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and the two will become one body. The man and his wife were naked, but they were not ashamed.” (Genesis 2:24-25).
Notice what it says. A man and his wife. Become one by having sex and were not ashamed. But why wait? Why is it such a big deal to wait?
Before we get into it. This message is not to try to help you BEHAVE and be a good little boy or girl. Jesus is the only person who can help you stay pure when it comes to sex. We are not into behavioral management at Source, we are all about HEART CHANGE.
I can say, “You SHOULD be pure” and motivate you. But if your heart is hard, there will be no change. I can say, “You CAN” be pure and teach you to not rely on Jesus. I can say, “You CAN by the power of Christ” stay pure.
Here are some lies about sex we might have bought into:
- Sex is simply physical.
- Use the person and move onto the next
Reason we believe the lies about sex:
- Media: Sex and sexual images are everywhere. We can become desensitized by it. The message is that it is “normal.”
- Peer pressure:
- Lack of healthy, biblical teaching on relationships.
- Lack of love from Parents motivates students to go looking for it in another person and can lead to unhealthy dependence.
- Look don’t touch: Pornography.
Followers of Christ experience pressures to trade purity for popularity. Matthew 19:5-6: “And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’ 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.”
God created sex FOR:
- Procreation (make babies and raise them up to love Jesus)
Genesis 1:27-28: “So God created human beingsin his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply.
- Pleasure (Song of Solomon): In the context of marriage it is meant to be enjoyed. God created it!
- Connection: It brings two people together emotionally, physically, spiritually.
- Unification: Once you have sex it is like glue. You are one with that person. God created sex to be a praise to God in the bed of marriage. One person. One sex life.
1 Corinthians 6:16: And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.”
Background: Corinthian people believed that as long as they were spiritual, it didn’t matter what they did with their bodies. This was “convenient” for people who were pagans, many would be with prostitutes because they thought sex was simply physical. Just as sex was on the radar, the same was true in biblical days!
Why should we wait for marriage to have sex?
1. Living pure leads to healthyrelationships (v.18)“Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.” 1 Corinthians 6:18. God’s plan for sex includes one man and one woman, within the marriage relationship.
Purity paves the way to intimacy. Impurity erodes the capacity to experience trust/loyalty and fulfillment.
2. Realize that our bodies are God’sHouse. “Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself” 1 Corinthians 6:19.
3. God wants us to honor Him with our bodies. “For God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body” 1 Corinthians 6:20.
Mark 12:30: “Love the Lord your God with all of your heart and with all of your soul and with all of your mind and with all of your strength. Mark 12:30
The truth is God created the plan for healthy relationships between man and women. It is God’s plan for it to be expressed in a marriage relationship and only then.
Element of Fun: We enjoyed a game with the middle school students called, "guess the number."
Music: We are the Free, God is Able, Desert Song, Here for You.
Favorite Moment: Hearing good conversations that happened in small groups on how to be pure and follow Christ in how we treat the opposite sex.
What’s Next: We are kicking off the new series, "Reckless!"